Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Somewhere near Beckbagan

"Where's a camcorder when you need one?" - The Mask

There are times when one sorely misses the regular, still camera too. Part of this lack has been plugged by the cell-phone cameras. Very handy, but the quality is frustrating. The same Nokia Asha 311 that was used to click the photograph of the lamp-post had to be called in to action again while I was on my way to Peter Cat for dinner with my good friend Arnab Chakraborty. The two girls, as you can make out, were seated in this huge stage/truck. Probably on the way home, judging by the way in which they kept to one corner of it. It was a very strange spectacle. The vehicle-turned-stage. The stage-turned-vehicle. And this kid who was selling balloons of various shapes, at a traffic signal. He managed to sell two eventually: one red heart-shaped, another green spherical. I thought of cropping it at first, but then I decided that there was much going on in the frame that wasn't on my mind when I clicked the photograph.



2 comments:

  1. Sujaan! I found this through Sroyon's blog, and I am so glad you are doing this. I half feel like Kolkata isn't a real place sometimes, caught up in Cornell's whirlwind of demands and in creating new roots. You cannot imagine the stirrings a blog like this causes in the probashi(and more bewilderingly still, eternal probash-contemplating) heart; I don't know if it is more painful to be seeing that the city still lives, and loves, and thrives, through another's eyes and words, or to not see it at all. I hope my comment isn't unwelcome, philistine that you seem to think me to be in relation to your passions and pursuits, but this really moved me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is most welcome, Pratiti. Looking at the city and writing about it from my point of view, I didn't anticipate the stirrings it would cause in others. So I don't really know whether to be happy or sad about that, but thanks nonetheless for your response.

      Delete