Monday, September 12, 2016

"जीना यहाँ"

I manage to catch the last south-bound metro. It's 22.00 by the time I reach the Central metro platform. The north-bound train comes in at 22.03. Non-AC. With six minutes to go till my train comes, I sit down on the metal bench. One other person at the end, tapping the screen of his phone aimlessly, mutters "That means the next one will be AC." At 22.08 we hear the echo of the incoming train. I get up and look into the void. The man's prophecy has been fulfilled. I imagine he has a smug smile on his face right now. We get into the same coach and realize quickly that the AC is not running--as it often happens with these trains. I grimace at him. The doors slide back, and a few seconds later the wordless tune of जीना यहाँ, मरना यहाँ, इस के सिवा जाना कहाँ comes on the internal music system. Several passengers who were grumbling silently realize all at once that tragedy has turned into farce, and break into chuckles and gentle abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment