Sunday, November 17, 2013

Two bazars

In the City project, the area I am concentrating on is the market-place. I'm not sure what I'll have to say if you ask, 'so what about it?' I met this nice gentleman at the races (yes! more on that later) who offered to take me around a couple of markets today. We went to the Chitpur new bazar and to Galiff Street. The Chitpur new bazar belongs to the Mullicks who also own the Marble Palace, that was made by Raja Rajendra Mullick (1819-1887). My guide is related to the family in some way, I think. As for Galiff Street, I had heard stories of the pet trade, but seeing it and being there was more horrific than I had imagined it to be. Here are some photographs from today's excursion.

'Notun Bajar' at Chitpur
Fish market inside the Notun Bajar 
Man sitting at one of the entrances to the Fish market
Afternoon nap in the Vegetable courtyard 
Kartik yo!

The gentleman wearing the punjabi on the left is of the Mullick family.
He still comes to the market daily to look after the books.

And now we come to Galiff Street.

Galiff Street Market 
Fish

You can see a cock-fight or two if you're (un)lucky or if you are willing to sponsor
your very own. You can buy your own fighter cocks at around Rs 1500 a piece.
A trained rooster with its owner/trainer (not sure, though)
The whole picture
What struck me is how the idea of "Bird Lovers" is conflated with
the idea of owning or keeping as pet.  Open defiance.




1 comment:

  1. What's the yellow lion on red background flag?

    And where is Galiff street?

    ReplyDelete