Friday, November 1, 2013

William Prinsep and the Pujas

The Chowringhee Theatre drawing I referred to my earlier blogpost is how I was introduced to the work of William Prinsep. Let me share a few others by him.

The first one is titled 'Doorgah preparations, opposite to Isherah', painted around 1832. I don't think it's the preparation, really. It's more likely to be the immersion. The discrepancy in the handwriting is also puzzling. Ishurah Ghat is in Barrackpore and Prinsep did a sketch of that too.


This second one is a watercolour, titled 'Europeans being entertained by dancers and musicians in a splendid Indian house in Calcutta.'


The third one is of the 'Mosque on the Corner of Chowringhee Road and the Dhurrumtollah in Calcutta.'


You may notice that at the bottom right corner there is a cluster of people who are carrying a Kali idol. Now, of course, there are lanes radiating out from the mosque lined with shops selling stationery items or Biriyani. The last time I ate at one of these must have been some ten or twelve years back. Chicken Biriyani was priced at Rs 13.

There is a collection available for free viewing online, but it's not comprehensive. One hopes to see the collection some time soon.

1 comment:

  1. The second picture (of 'Europeans being entertained by dancers and musicians in a splendid Indian house in Calcutta') I find very strange. The outer stone pillars resemble South Indian temple pillars and I am sure those were absent in Bengal, certainly in Calcutta. The inner ones look more authentic, closer to Corinthian ones.

    ReplyDelete